CONNECTING COMMUNITIES THROUGH
MUTUAL CULTURAL UNDERSTANDING
**APPROVED Maryland State Department of Education Continuing Professional Credit
NOTE: Register for Summit and course separately.
The Course will focus on connecting students, teachers and the school community to develop mutual cultural understanding among all people in communities and the world and gain skills in these areas. The course will illustrate the value in practicing the skills and thus developing more compassionate human beings, better communities, and world citizens.
The first summit virtual will focus who we are in Maryland’s communities throughout history to the present. Session two will present Connecting Cultures and knowing one’s self to understand others. Scholars will give us communication skills in our multicultural environments. as well as means to avoid misunderstandings. The importance of the arts will be explored in developing cultural understanding in a variety of ways. The four virtuals will assist in creating a more engaged student population, healthier teacher – student-parent relationships, and positive ways to navigate many cultures in our communities.
Note: The Summit with all of the panelists is attached to this document. The Summit is available to everyone; however, each person must register. There is a one time registration for the entire summit. You will receive weekly notices for the following summit.
MSDE CPD COURSE IS For EDUCATORS IN GRADES K – 12
NOTE: EVERYONE MAY PARTICIPATE IN ALL FOUR Virtuals described in the summit program without taking the CREDIT COURSE.
The Class will be held virtually:
- Four ZOOM webinars- you must register on line.
- One zoom meet at the beginning and one at the end of the four webinars where you will be invited after submitting the Registration Form below.
FIRST ZOOM for PARTICIPANTS REGISTERED in the course and on this
form: November 5, 2020
NOTE: LIMITED REGISTRATIONS (First come will be registered)
FIRST ZOOM MEET WITH REGISTERED COURSE PARTICIPANTS ONLY: November 5, 2020 7:30 PM
Note: ZOOM includes course introduction and meeting with participants requesting credit.
ZOOM WEBINARS: ALL VIRTUAL SESSIONS on
November 9, 16, 23, 30 7:00 PM REQUIRED
Summit Webinar: Must pre-register on Link on Summit program or www.worldartists.org
SECOND ZOOM MEET WITH COURSE PARTICIPANTS:
January 11, 2021 7:30 PM
2. Together With Registration Form below, mail $10 fee;
- All registrations must be submitted by November 3, 2020
WHAT to BRING and WEAR: Your enthusiasm to connect communities through mutual cultural understanding
PROFESSIONAL CREDIT INFO: The course has been approved as a Maryland State Department of Education Continuing Education Credit. There will be a Pre-requisite and follow up.
PREREQUISTE REQUIREMENTS for PROFESSIONAL CREDIT ONLY:
ZOOM: Nov. 5 7:30 PM Zoom Introduction to Course
Note: Zoom invite will be sent to each registrant
Prior to first presentation on Nov 9, each participant will:
- REGISTER for the SUMMIT VIRTUALS worldartists.org
- Participant should send with registration their travel, languages speak, their cultural experiences, and background.
- OPEN AND FIND IDEAS FROM THE INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION MONTH WEBSITE: Http://tinyurl.com/y3svm3gy
- Submit a summary and reflection of two articles on Connecting Cultures through Mutual Cultural understanding;
- Research the cultural background of students in a classroom or group, including family’s background, languages spoken by students, countries travelled; etc.
- Prepare 4 questions for each virtual.
SUMMIT: CONNECTING CULTURES THROUGH MUTUAL CULTURAL UNDERSTANDING
Attend the 4 Virtual webinars on November 9, 16, 23, 30 with panelists
REGISTER on www.worldartists.org (YOU ONLY NEED TO REGISTER ONCE FOR THE SUMMIT AND YOU WILL RECEIVE REMINDERS.)
Virtual #1: WHO ARE MARYLANDERS? Origins, Contributions, History (November 9)
Virtual #2: CONNECTING CULTURES: BEGINNING with SELF (November 16)
Virtual #3 EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION IN A MULTICULTURAL SOCIETY (November 23)
Virtual#4 USING the ARTS FOR CULTURAL UNDERSTANDING (November 30)
POST SUMMIT REQUIREMENTS:
- Review and Share a written reflection on the each summit topic. Send to administrator by December 11.
- Prepare and deliver a lesson plan for a classroom or small group for developing mutual cultural understanding.
Post Summit Zoom January 11, 2021 7:30 PM
- discuss the lesson plans and the outcomes;
- obtain feedback;
- discuss future ideas and resources for connecting communities through mutual cultural understanding.
NOTE: Program is subject to change due to unforeseen circumstances.
SEE REGISTATION FORM BELOW
Mail a printed form with $10 check payable to:
WAE P.O. Box 9753 Arnold, MD 21012
NAME of EDUCATOR:___________________________________________________________________
CITY _____________________________________STATE_____________________ ZIP CODE_________
PRINT EMAIL ADDRESS CLEARLY:
PERSONAL EMAIL:______________________SCHOOL EMAIL:_______________________________
CELL TELEPHONE:______________________LAND TELEPHONE:__________________________
NAME OF SCHOOL: _____________________POSITION IN SCHOOL:________________
________ I mailed this REGISTRATION FORM and $10 registration fee. Check & Mail with form to payable to: WAE P O. 9753 Arnold, MD 21012 with information on your cultural experiences.
________YES. I want to obtain Continuing Professional Credit and will be
responsible for the pre and post summit requirements.
________YES. My lesson plans/activities done for the course may be shared by WAE on the website.
_________If published on the WAE Website, editing is approved.
_______ I have signed and enclosed this registration and release form.
FORMS MUST BE EMAILED BY NOVEMBER 3.
NOTE: PERSONAL INFORMATION are REQUIRED for contacting you with updates and to receive credit through MSDE.
(Sign to agree with the above.)